Friday, May 12, 2006

Kiri, blocked and ginormous

It's done and it's huge! 34 inches long and 74 inches wide! I wasn't planning to make it that big -- this was only 11 repeats of the main pattern. It barely fit on the bed when I blocked it (using Yarn Harlot's lace blocking method). Fortunately I am told that the shawl doesn't look ridiculous on me.

The scalloped edges didn't come out very scalloped, but I'm okay with that. I went up a needle size to US 8 on row 11 of the edging, then did row 12 on size 10's, and bound off very loosely with the 10's, but I guess it still wasn't as loose as it could have been. During row 11 I also added irridescent off-white seed beads to what would become the points of the shawl, more or less following instructions I found on the Kiri Shawl Knitalong Yahoo Group.

Today I will see how the shawl looks with my wedding gown.

Kiri
Started: April 17 (after many false starts)
Finished: May 9 (blocked May 11)
Pattern: From All Tangled Up
Yarn: Rowan KidSilk Night, color Starlight, 3 skeins (very little left over)
Needles: US 7, 8, 10 circs (Denise -- the 40" and 52" cords I bought on eBay really came in handy!)

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous rachel said...

Wow, it looks really good! I just finished my Kiri, I cheated though and used Knitpicks Shine and 8mm needles. I have some KSH to make one with, I was having a bit of trouble keeping up with the pattern, so I decided to do a practice Kiri on a more forgiving yarn. And bigger needles!

6:10 PM, May 17, 2006  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home