Saturday, December 16, 2006

Irish hiking gifts


This Irish hiking scarf and matching wrist warmers are for my mother-in-law. The only modification I made to the Hello Yarn Irish hiking scarf pattern was to use "uneven cables" which I found in Barbara Walker's Treasury of Knitting Patterns. Instead of putting 3 stitches on a cable needle and knitting the next 3 before knitting the 3 from the cable needle, you put 2 stitches on the cable needle and knit the next 4. I like the way these cables turn out, and they're a bit easier to do. I went with a 6-row repeat, as opposed to the 8-row cables in the Hello Yarn pattern.

The finished scarf is about 60" long. The ends don't fan out much because I did the first cable row on row 3 (the Hello Yarn pattern has you do it at row 8). Likewise I ended the scarf 2 rows after the last cable row.


I improvised a matching wrist warmer pattern, after a botched attempt at modifying the wrist warmer pattern from Last Minute Knitted Gifts. The wrist warmers I made are 36 stitches around (3 repeats of the 12-stitch cable pattern). I started at the arm, and after 22 rounds began increasing for the thumb gusset. I increased 2 stitches every other round until there were 42 stitches. In round 35 I bound off 8 stitches at the thumb, and in round 36 I cast on 2 stitches to complete the circle. After another 10 rounds, I bound off.

1/15/07 EDITED TO ADD: I have posted the complete pattern.


Irish hiking scarf
Started: Nov. 1(?)
Finished: Nov. 30(?)
Pattern: From Hello Yarn
Yarn: Bernat Satin, Sterling, 3 skeins (used very little of the 3rd skein)
Needles: US 8 Addi Turbos

Irish hiking wrist warmers
Started: Dec. 1(?)
Finished: Dec. 9
Pattern: My own
Yarn: Bernat Satin, less than 1 skein
Needles: US 8 dpns

Labels: , , ,

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love your scarf. I did one for my hubby's bday two weeks ago in a deeper shade of grey. Yours came out very nice. Are you willing to share your pattern for your wrist warmers? I'd love to make a pair!

2:46 PM, December 21, 2006  
Blogger cdc said...

Thanks knitting mama! I'll try to write up the wrist warmer pattern as soon as I can.

2:58 PM, December 21, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I do love that scarf, is there any chance that you are willing to share the cable pattern??

7:54 PM, January 09, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I own a wonderful Irish Cardian, hand made by a woman in Inishmore that we purchased there about 4 years ago. It is now showing some signs of loosening and has a couple of holes in the knit. Is there anyone in Denver that I might contact for some repair work? The sweater means a great deal to me and want to keep it intact by a highly accomplished knitter.
JB

2:35 PM, January 01, 2009  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sean can be contacted at trostdavis@msn.com regarding repair work to the Irish sweater.

2:37 PM, January 01, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home