Monday, January 15, 2007

Knucks for me

John and I now have matching pairs of Knucks (although mine doesn't say LOVE and HATE).


Here's an almost-done in-progress shot:


Originally I tried the textured cuff suggested in the pattern, but I didn't like the way it came out, and it wasn't stretchy at all. (I did it in the car at night so it's possible I just messed it up.) I ripped out the cuff and re-knitted it in K2P2 ribbing. So much better!

They fit me better than any gloves have ever fit me. I love having my fingers free to operate my iPod or fish my Metrocard out of my pocket. My hands are still surprisingly warm due to the alpaca, especially with the unseasonably warm weather we've been having.

I learned a few lessons from John's Knucks that I was able to apply to mine. The pattern says "less is more" when it comes to stitching up the holes between the fingers. I followed that advice on John's, but the holes next to the thumbs opened up after some time and I had to mend them. On mine, I was extra careful in closing up the holes. So far, so good.

I also made the fingers much tighter on mine, since the alpaca has a tendency to stretch out, and John's Knucks are no longer snug on his fingers. Making the fingers tighter may have also helped prevent curling. Only one thumb on mine is starting to curl. I haven't tried blocking them yet -- maybe that could also help keep the curling in check.

The cuffs on John's Knucks ended up being too short to go under his coat sleeves. I made my cuffs just under 2" long, which is proving to be a perfect length.

Knucks for me
Started: Oct. 24, 2006
Finished: Dec. 30, 2006
Pattern: Knucks from Knitty
Yarn: Frog Tree Alpaca Sport, color #0010, 1 skein (130 yds.)
Needles: US 2 dpns

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Dame Wendy said...

Congrats!!!

Hello! You are one of the winners for the contest I had on my blog! (http://yarnandcatnaps.blogspot.com/) :) I need a mailing address for you and need to know if you can test both, tarts and votives? You can email me at: wendy@damecandlecompany.com :)

I’ll be including more info along with your testers for how to review them and where. :)

Hugs and bunnies,
Wendy

7:49 PM, January 20, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home