Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Gimli on steroids


I finally added a lining to my Gimli hat, something I had been meaning to do since last winter. I used the Morehouse Farm Merino I bought at Brooklyn General.

Here's what I did:

Lining the earflaps

I picked up 25 stitches along the earflap seam and repeated the following two rows:
1) ssk, knit to last 2 stitches, k2tog
2) sl 1, purl to last stitch, sl 1
...until there were only 2 stitches left, which I knitted together. I sewed down the other 2 sides of the triangle to the earflap, and repeated for the other side.

Lining the rest of the hat
I picked up 110 stitches along the inside edge, joined, knitted until the lining was about 2.5 inches long, then began the decrease rounds because I had too many stitches on there. I placed markers every 10 stitches and knitted together the 2 stitches before each stitch marker. I repeated this decrease round every third round (maybe 5 times) and finally every other round, until I had 10 stitches left. I cut the yarn and pulled it through the 10 stitches and weaved in the end.

I didn't swatch or do any math, and it definitely was not a scientific process, but I'm pleased with how it turned out. Basically there is a second hat inside the original hat. And it is super warm and very soft inside! And the hat is ridiculously thick! If it sort of resembled armor before, now it practically is!

It hasn't been cold enough yet to really try it out. In fact, I'm not sure it will get cold enough in NYC this winter! But if we do get a blizzard this year, I'm prepared.

Gimli Lining
Started: Dec. 24
Finished: Dec. 26
Pattern: None
Yarn: Morehouse Farm Merino worsted, 1 skein
Needles: US 8 Denises and dpns, I think...

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home