Monday, April 17, 2006

Clapotis triumph; Kiri woes

This is the finished Clapotis. I did 4 repeats of the increase section (the pattern calls for 7) and a full 13 repeats of the straight row section. It's very drapey and the soy silk feels soft and smooth against the skin. The ends are weaved in but I haven't blocked it yet. Blocking probably isn't even necessary.

What a lovely, relaxing knit!

Clapotis
Started: April 1
Finished: April 13
Pattern: From Knitty
Yarn: South West Trading Company's Oasis, 2 skeins, Parrot
Needles: US 8 circs (Addi turbos)

Kiri, on the other hand, is causing me nothing but grief!

I knit up this mini-Kiri to familiarize myself with the pattern, to see how the Kidsilk Night would knit up, and to try out a little beading along the edges. I had no major problems with the swatch. The beads are subtle and I like the way they complement the yarn and the pattern. I haven't blocked it yet, but I'm happy with how it came out. I would totally wear this shawl if I was 18 inches tall!

Then I started the actual grown-up shawl. I got halfway through the first repeat and realized something was amiss. One of the leaves was all mangled, and unfortunately it was several rows down and not worth tinking. I had only spent a few hours on the shawl at that point, so I decided to rip it out and start over. I then endured several false starts (butchering some of the yarn in the process) before I came up with an acceptable cast-on, and it still wasn't perfect. But the mistake wouldn't be noticeable to anyone else so I proceeded onto the startup rows. I was knitting along nicely until I noticed that once again there's a yarnover in the wrong place, way down near the beginning! At this point I became too frustrated to deal with it, and I put it away for the night.

I'm not sure what the problem is -- perhaps I have gotten overconfident, and have not been referring to the charts as diligently as I should be. I've been knitting in cars and in front of the television. I haven't been tallying my row count (and I don't have a row counter that fits the needles) and was only using a post-it to keep track of my place in the chart. I guess I'll have to combine the post-it with a written tally. And I'll have to use lifelines.

I will not be defeated!

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home