Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Irish hiking scarf

Last night I finished the Irish hiking scarf which will be a Christmas gift. This was my first go at cables. I love the way they thicken the scarf.

Looks like I will have to block this one. I'm not sure I bound off quite right -- it seems to have flattened out at the end, but maybe that's normal? I also made a couple mistakes along the edge, but I don't think they're terribly noticeable. I know how to turn knits into purls and purls into knits (thank you Stitch 'n Bitch handbook!) but when the mistake happens along the edge, I get all confused when I try and fix it.

The scarf is 52 inches long. It would have been longer, but Norton the dog got a hold of the third skein, and in the process unravelled and drooled all over the yarn. That was a fun scene to come home to -- at first I thought he had unravelled my work. I was relieved to discover that it was just unused yarn. 52 inches should be long enough for this scarf, as its intended recipient, like me, is a hair under 5 feet tall.

Started: Dec. 8
Finished: Dec. 12
Yarn: Bernat Satin in sapphire, 2 skeins
Needles: US 9 bamboo straights

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Emma said...

It's beautiful, Cindy! I got a few pairs of lovely bamboo (actually some other kind of hardwood from California I think, but similar to bamboo!) knitting needles from Chris's mom and have started my first ribbed scarf! But I'll need to attempt your hiking scarf pattern soon I think.

6:49 AM, December 19, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home