Sunday, March 04, 2007

Dad's hat


It seemed wrong that I hadn't knitted anything for my dad so far, and I was thinking he might wear a hand-knit hat. I found this donegal cashmere at School Products which seemed perfect for him. A few weeks ago I had some gals over for an afternoon of knitting, and I knitted up this hat. The yarn was delightful to work with. At first I tried using size 11 needles, but the fabric was coming out too loose, so I went all the way down to 8's (because I happen to have Addi Turbos in that size). I totally winged it -- didn't bother swatching, just guessed how many stitches to cast on, and how long to knit before starting the decrease rounds. I was a little worried it would be too small, but after washing, it got much bigger (and softer). This was my first time blocking cashmere, so I wasn't sure what to expect, but now I know! Dad says the hat is very warm and comfortable.

Dad's hat
Started: Feb. 3, 2007
Finished: Feb. 3, 2007
Pattern: None
Yarn: Donegal Cashmere from School Products (50 gr., 95 yds., color 10096), 1 skein
Needles: US 8 Addi Turbos

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home